I have always loved the film, it has always been one of my favourites. It is one of those snuggly type films that you can put on and slob out with. I have always dreamed of owning a little shop like hers, so cute and quaint, I suppose that is coupled with my love of books especially children's books and the fact that I haven't quite grown up yet!
I watch the film alot but usually just watch. I watched it again today and it suddenly occurred to me that for years I have been watching a film about the death of a small independet shop and the rise of the chain store offering cheap alternatives. This film was made in 1998 so it has been a prominent topic for some while now. The sad thing is though nothing much seems to have changed. Chain stores and out of town shopping parks are still taking trade away from the town centres and the independent shops.
"Fox Books threatens survival of a temple to one of the twentieth century's most profound truths: You are what you read."
I think in our minds we are convinced that chain shopping is going to be cheaper even though this isn't always the case. It has to be said though it can be far more convenient to shop out of town in shops with longer opening hours. I am managing OK at the moment but then I can juggle my hours and be flexible. What do you do if you work 9-5 the same time as the shops are open!
I guess it is just hard for everyone and we just have to do the best we can.
![]() |
| http://www.channel4.com/news/death-of-the-high-street |

The biggest problem I’m having is that a lot of independent shops don’t really work when you have a buggy! Many have steps and doors that are difficult to get through or no parking, whilst chains are all very easy-access with wide isles, automatic doors, trolleys with baby-seats, mum-and-baby parking spaces. The parking issue I can live with as I try to walk whenever possible, but if I can’t get my son into the shop then I just can’t shop there. Some shops I’ve been able to get into but then can’t move the buggy around once I am in so have had to leave empty-handed :( Independent shops are always so much nicer to be in but until my son is old enough to not need a buggy I guess I’m going to have to settle for just gazing longingly into the windows of a lot of them!
ReplyDelete