Tuesday, 24 April 2012

My internal conflict eco vs niceity: National Stationery Day

Through the wonders of Facebook I found out the today is National Stationery Day. I love the initial paragraph on the promoting website:


The bit that actually got me is "Do you believe in the importance of writing by hand?". Now this is where I am torn between niceities and Eco-ness. I don't know where my heart lies. It is true that we never get any post these days. We don't even get bills anymore. Banks and utility companies have switched to e-statements under the pretence of being environmentally friendly, it is but call me an old synic but somehow I can't help thinking that the cost saving behind e-bills is more of a reason that the eco one!

When was the last time you received a letter in the mail?

So part of me with this blog and journey wants to get back to doing nice old things that are dying out, like the chutney making, things that will give me a feel good factor, enhance my life and make me appreciate where our consumables come from. So from that point of view I am all up for the letter writing business. It is more personal and has more meaning that wizzing off an email. On the rare occassion that I do get post, I love it, it's so exciting and I think it shows people you care far more than an email. So for all that it gets my thumbs up.

So where do I stand from an eco point of view? This is what I am struggling with. Sending letters and cards is encourgaing our use of paper and card. What are the environmental implications of that? I did a search and came accross this website: http://www.secret-life.org/paper/paper_environment.php it's probably best if you go there and read it for yourself rather than me paraphrasing.

Paper making does seem to be quite intensive though.

Image credit: http://www.secret-life.org/paper/paper_environment.php





I have to say in the past I have been a bit of a stationery addict, I was always buying something or other but have cut back these days, in part mainly because I haven't been anywhere to buy any!


I am still learning on our little journey and I need guidance from time to time. I love what the campaign stands for in terms of sending letters but it conflicts with my eco point of view. Arghhhhhhh!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment