Wednesday, 2 May 2012

Knitting. A pleasure activity no longer a necessity

I am knitting. I have been knitting now since the end of January. You are probably thinking that I am going to show you a big photo of all of the things that I have made in that time. Wrong. I am going to show you a picture of what I am currently knitting and it is the same thing I have been knitting all this time. It's a scarf. A lovely long fluffy snuggly scarf. It has taken me ages because I am not a very good knitter. I only do about a row or two a night if that. I even have to get my Mum to cast on and she will have to cast off for me too. I have added stiches along the way and I don't even know how to do that. At least there is no holes in it yet though. The thing is I am doing it for the pleasure and the enjoyment.

The trouble is with knitting now it is merely a hobby thing rather than a neccessity to make clothes. As a child in the 80s, I was always wearing jumpers and cardigans that both my Mum and my Nan had made me. In the picture below I am wearing a jumper that my Nan had made me using squares of various colours from left over balls of wool from other projects. I used to love these jumpers, I really did.


It is even seen as being rather old fashioned to wear knitted clothes. Whilst that was all babies ever worn it is now seen as a bit old hat. With the vintage revival there is an increase in little cardigans appearing that are being teamed up with cute dresses although these are still manufactured rather than made yourself.

I just think it is a shame in a way that these things have died out but then jumpers are so cheap to buy in the shops now it makes sense for most people to just buy. The same with everything. Cheaper to buy it than make it yourself now. It has cost me nearly £25 in wool just to make a scarf. I did buy the wool from a fairly expensive craft shop though. It would be much cheaper to go to a chain fashion shop and buy a scarf. I wanted to make it so that when I wear it I feel like I have achieved and accomplished something. It helps me to appreciate what it takes to make something and not just take it for granted.

There is a knitting circle I have found out about and I am tempted to join but I am a little worried that I will be not just the youngest person there but also the least experienced.

3 comments:

  1. My mum knitted my sister and I jumpers with the Take That logo on and a Thunderbirds one for my brother, I remember us all being so proud :) Nathan has a few knitted bits that she did for him too which are lovely. I've always been much better at sewing than knitting and I do that a lot for pleasure, whether making clothes, curtains or toys. Plus I like going back to the Make Do & Mend ways, partly because I can't afford to buy new these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, I had lots of jumpers with characters on. They were all the rage weren't they. I couldn't believe the price of wool though, I couldn't afford to knit my clothes now it's crazy price. I would love to make more but I can't sew very well either. I am more of a drawing and cutting and sticking craft person. Leads me on to my next blog post in a day or two which is about those crafts dying out.

      Delete
    2. Just read your blog post now lol we think alike! Will link my next one to yours : )

      Delete