Monday, 23 April 2012

Old Mother Hubbard Syndrome


Is the cupboard really bare or are you just not looking?

OK so you remember when you were a kid, you used to look in the fridge, then the cupboard, then the fridge again then hollah “Muuuuuuum, there’s nothing to eat” and of course your Mum would respond that there was in fact lots to eat if you were only to look. Of course you were looking. What you saw was ingredients for meals that quite frankly you didn’t want. It had been a while since she had gone shopping and all the quick grab and go food was gone. You know the sort of thing, sausage rolls, crisps. All the things teenagers love. What your Mum saw on the other hand was a fridge full of lovely fresh ingredients ready to make fabulous gourmet meals with. So really in fact she was right, there was lots of food and you were an ungrateful teenager.

I still sometimes think like this now. You know when you are in a rush and hungry and you just want something quick to eat, you don’t want to have to prepare food. Isn’t it funny though, you open and close the fridge door, somehow hoping that rather miraculously a fairy had placed something in there. No matter how many times you look though there is no change. Still the fresh ingredients crying out for something to be done with them.

Now I try and be sensible with our food shopping. I try and make it last as long as possible eeking the time out between shops. I hate to see food going to waste or being thrown away so I try and plan meals to ensure that I am only buying the ingredients that I actually need. This works most of the time, occasionally though there are things left where you have bought too much due to pack size etc. I have already said that I am not an avid recipe follower so what I tend to do on these such occasions when we are in between shops, is scratch around and make meals from whatever I have in. Sometimes this is great and we have even had some pretty good meals this way. Sometimes this has dire consequences lol!

I opened the fridge and all there was really was a pack of cherry tomatoes and a sweet red pepper. Hmmm! What to make what to make? Ahhhh this:

Anna’s tomato and pepper pasta I have nothing in concoction

  • Pack of Cherry Tomatoes
  • One Red pepper
  • Basil
  • Thyme
  • Salt
  • Garlic
  • Olive Oil
  • Balsamic Vinegar
  • Red onion
  • Pasta
  • Black Pepper

Cut the tomatoes into half, and pop in a roasting tray along with the chopped pepper and chopped garlic. Sprinkle your herbs, black pepper and salt on top and then smother with olive oil. Roast in a hot oven for approx half an hour.

Take the tray out, lightly crush the tomatoes, pour over some balsamic vinegar and put back in the oven, this time reducing the heat right down.

Pop your pasta on to boil.

Chop up a red onion and fry in a little olive oil until softened. I didn’t add this to the oven tray as I find that the onion get burnt and over cooked.

Once the pasta is cooked, drain and leave in the pan. Take the tray out of the oven stir and add the onions. Mix everything together with the pasta.



I also served with some nice bread to soak up all the lovely juices. Nom nom!

I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

No comments:

Post a Comment