I had a really restful Easter and it was lovely. We saw family and we had time to ourselves to chill out too. I guess we are like most people in that it is all to easy to forget what Easter is all about and "the reason for the season". I think we just get caught up in such busy lives we forget to slow down from time to time. I know when I had a full time job I did just that. I was a right stress head most of the time. I used to get stressed that I was tired and didn't feel like cooking so we got a take away which I had to go to work to pay for - the cycle goes on!
These days now I work for myself and came juggle my time I do make sure I take a rest. The only trouble working for yourself is the pressure to feel like you should be doing something. I have to admit I didn't switch off completely but I didn't feel compelled to turn on the laptop and start working either.
It was good and it was needed. Batteries are sufficiently charged now.
For us it was a shame that it was wet over the bank holiday but the garden is looking all the more better for it.
My main reason for this blog post is eggs. Both real eggs and chocolate ones!
Most weekends we sit down together and eat a nice breakfast, have a pot of tea and talk. Make the most of not having to rush around. Easter Sunday was no exception and a yummy bolied egg (or two) was in order. I just wanted to show you this little picture that I took with my camera. The two eggs were in identical egg cups and were lined up next to each other. The smaller one on the left is from a shop. Can't remember which one. The one on the right is from the farm shop Jon goes to near Woburn. Now you can't tell me that is not value for money!!! Free range, local (ish) and independent but above all, big and tasty!
We were both very lucky to receive chocolate Easter eggs. I have to confess that I probably ate more than I should have but at the time I enjoyed it. I felt sluggish this morning though and had to work some of it off at Step class. I am so going to pay for that tomorrow!
Anyway, looking at the eggs, it got us thinking just how much packaging is used in Easter eggs. Now as a child, some of the excitement was seeing this big beautiful packaging with gold foil sparkling away inside. As an adult I can't help thinking what a waste and also a bit of a disappointment. The egg looks huge in the packaging but take it out and you haven't actually got that much chocolate.
We tried to be mindful when purchasing eggs this year of the packaging but very few manufacturers seem to have cut down on the amount they use. Why is this? It seems that it hasn't gone un noticed. Do a google search and many articles will come up. One from the Telegraph caught my eye:
That is a lot huh? I guess we are partly guilty for buying but we can't help what we are brought. All we can do is recycle the waste and be good in other ways!The 2012 Easter Egg Packaging report concluded that the percentage of Easter egg boxes taken up by chocolate had not reduced from last year's amount of 38 per cent.


Fantastic pic showing the differences between the eggs. Do you have room for a couple of chickens - you could get your own eggs for free and use up some of your food waste ;)
ReplyDeleteAgreed on the Easter Eggs; I still think some of the packaging is horrendous but there is so much less plastic moulding than there was when I was a kid...
Keep up the great work with your blog and love to Bertie ;)
Warm wishes
Rae aka Mrs Green @myzerowaste.com
Thanks Rae for your positive comments, that is so nice from someone who has so much more experience than I. We would love to have chickens but at the moment we are in quite a small house with 2 rabbits and 2 guinea pigs and it just wouldn't be fair on any of them. We like our animals to be free range and I just can't see it working. It is on the future plan though!
Delete