Friday, 20 April 2012

Life. Is it just a game?


Game of Life?

My Mum and Dad have been having a bit of a sort out of bits and pieces and the other day gave me some bits they thought that I might like. In it was the 70’s could even be 80’s version of “Game of Life”. I used to love playing that game as a family. Of course I was going to keep that and I bought it home with me and put it in the spare room.

A few days later it was early evening, it was bright but had been raining, we had eaten our dinner and were sitting on the sofa. Jon said to me, “what do you want to do this evening then”. Not a question that was out of the ordinary but one not often said. I guess like most of the UK, our evenings are largely consisted of eating dinner, having a small conversation and then vegging out on the sofa watching TV, little cause for discussion or negotiation. When the weather is cold and grey in the winter this can be a comfort but now the nights are getting lighter it can become seemingly boring, like you are striving for something else to do. Thing is I work from home and life, work wise and my days are not that taxing so I don’t like to push Jon into doing anything after he has been at work all day. I know how draining that can be let alone the 45 minute drive home so I kind of let him chill.

Anyway, we decided to have a TV free evening. We decided to expand the mind and have some time to talk and actually spend time with each other. It has to be said though that we were at a bit of a loss as to what to do. In the end I said “let’s play Game of Life”. So we did!

We actually ended up playing two games. I know steady huh! It was a bit of a laugh, we had fun and we really connected. We had what I would call quality time and the evening seemed really long. We did sneak half an hour of TV in but it was a DVD actually.... an episode of “The Good Life”. If anything this seemed the most appropriate AND it is our all time favourite TV programme ever and I mean like EVER!

After doing our talking and soul searching, we agreed that we should turn the TV off more. We don’t really know why we watch so much, we just seem to get sucked in really. We have decided to have at least one night a week where we watch no TV whatsoever and we do something together, either go out or stay in but what we do we do it together, to connect and to have fun. All suggestions are welcome! I have a few ideas and we have agreed to be open and try new things and be open to each others suggestions. Who knows what we will end up doing but I am looking forward to finding out anyway.

As a side note the “Game of Life” tickled me abit, although it is fictional, there are elements that do transfer into everyday life. Jon ended up not that wealthy but with a wife and three kids and a comfortable home but he had done things alone the way. Me, well I was a high flyer career person, had a racehorse, Rolls Royce, Villa in France, Mansion but had no kids and the only reason I had so much money to buy expensive things is that I missed out on doing other things through my life. Was this trying to tell me something or was it purely coincidental? I don’t know, I will leave that one with you!


No comments:

Post a Comment