A while ago I read "The Wonderful Weekend Book" and that is another though provoking book. The synopsis of which is:
For too many of us the weekend has become just another overcrowded couple of days dominated by duties, traffic jams, hassle and expense as we dash from supermarket to superstore catching up with the week's chores. But it doesn't have to be this way. Elspeth Thompson's original and inspiring book shows us how we can reclaim the weekend by re-charging our batteries and relationships through enjoying the simple pleasures in life.
From watching the sunset and the stars, making marmalade and writing proper letters to borrowing a dog, going to dance classes and using the internet creatively, she reminds us of the fun and satisfaction to be had from creative, social and relaxing pursuits. The Wonderful Weekend Book is packed with ideas that will help restore the balance in our lives, reconnect us to the seasons, and - quite literally - not cost the earth.
You can see what I mean and why this book is a must for the current time!
Today we had a lazy breakfast of huge organic free range eggs (and soldiers). The eggs came from a little farm shop near Woburn. Jon makes the shop a regular lunch time stop on a Friday ready for the weekend but my word you can really taste the difference between those eggs and the supermarket ones. Huge bright yellow yolks and loads of flavour. You know the weirdest thing, they don't even cost more than supermarket ones! I think we are too quick to assume that things will cost more before actually doing our research.
I decided to have a big of a baking day today for a couple of reasons really. I wanted to make some nice food that we could feel all good about eating, I wanted to spend some time just baking and being content doing that (inspiration from the Weekend book!) and also whilst the oven was on, it made perfect sense to be considerate of the environment and make more, thus saving putting the oven on at another time too. I made a lovely pizza. Now I know this doesn't sound like your average pizza topping but it was lovely - Kale and Onion. I also made bread and flatbreads. I actually feel that eating the items might even be calorie neutral from all the effort put into making them and kneeding them. In all seriousness, it wasn't that much hard work and it was really enjoyable to think about you putting part of yourself into what you are eating. I had the music on and was very contented in the kitchen. I think we have lost so much of that connection with the food we eat and the processes of making that food. I tell you what the pizza was damned good. It was so yummy and I felt good knowing that I had made it from scratch rather than shopping at the supermarket for a ready made full of preservatives pizza. The flour I used was organic. I made two pizzas so there was enough left over for another day. Jon will take some to work for his pack up as he says he gets fed up with peanut butter sarnies. I should say so!
I think we need to stop going to work and then buying things that we didn't have the time to do. I know I am fortunate working for myself but just making that dough today has made me happy and contented and the thought of sitting at a desk for an hour or two to be able to buy the pizza, no thanks!
So far this week I have been eating much healthier, substituting the sarnies at lunch for salad and trying to move my body more at any opportunity. I am not dieting but you know what, this week I have lost 7lbs. Can you believe that, half a stone! I am surprised because I have eaten tons, loads of ice cream (for medicinal purposes you understand) and even fish and chips on Friday night! I did surprise my self!



No comments:
Post a Comment