Tuesday, 17 April 2012

Lovely weather for Ducks!

As the old saying goes, isn't it "lovely weather for Ducks". If you haven't heard of that expression, it basically means that it is wet and / or pretty miserable. It has just started to brighten up here but is still pretty wet. It is what we used to call "rainy day play". The pigs and buns are stuck inside as am I. I don't feel hardy enough to go outside today, I am preferring to be inside with a nice warm cup of tea, comforted in the knowledge that nothing really needs doing in the garden, it is all just silently growing away.

I find human nature and the pysche quite interesting in as much as you might not have needed or wanted or planned to go out anyway but as soon as it is raining and you feel like you can't you get all depressed. I don't think we are all that good these days of entertaining ourselves and thinking of things to do. This made me think of the 80s, I remember we used to have lots of power cuts, as a child I used to find it fun, then tedious. Luckily we haven't had a power cut for ages but I wonder what we would all do if we had one that lasted all evening long.

So anyway I am inside, looking out at the rain and thinking of my water butt outside slowly filling.

Taken with my mobile phone - rain drops against my window!

We have a small slimline butt in the garden which collects the rain from the car port. We then transfer water from there into a much larger butt that we have stored in the car port and when they are both full we tend to fill buckets up. This may seem excessive considering we don't have a particularly large garden and lots of veggies but it is surprising in the hot summer months just how much water you can get through. We use it up in no time and then look to using the bath / shower water.

When you start saving water in this way it makes you think alot about how much you do actually use, when it comes out of the tap it is all too easy not to realise just how much you are using.

No comments:

Post a Comment