Thursday, 26 April 2012

What to eat when the cupboard really is bare


So a couple of days again I had the Old Mother Hubbard syndrome. The cupboard seemed to be bare but I still managed to make a meal. Well actually I haven't been shopping since so this time when I looked the cupboard really was bare. I have been trying to leave it as long as possible before going shopping ...

  1. To make the expenditure eek out (it's getting close to end of the month / payday!!)
  2. So as to avoid wasting food, so many times I have thrown things out that have gone past their dates because I have bought more food
  3. To see how resourceful we can really be
  4. To test my cooking skills and creativity
  5. To learn what it is like to only be able to cook and eat what you have in. We are far too used to being able to pop to the supermarket and buying fruit and veg from all around the World out of season. I want to get better at learning to use what we have when we have it.
  6. To not eat so much, if we have to be a bit more frugally then portion control is better
So far we are doing OK. We haven't starved and we have still eaten fairly nutritious meals. Here is one of my "Oh y God we really don't have anything in at all" meals:

Ingredients
  •  Baked Beans
  • Chick peas
  • Onion
  • Chilli Flakes
  • Tom Sauce
  • Curry powder
  • Potatoes
Method

Chop the pots up into bitesize cubes and boil in a pan until cooked. In another pan lightly fry the onions until transparent then add the curry powder and fry off a little. Add the remaining ingredients to the onion pan and warm through. If the sauce gets a little too thick add a couple of spoons of water to loosen. Once the pots are cooked add them to the other ingredients.

Mix together and serve in nice deep comfy huggable bowls.

Eat on the sofa in your PJs watching a nice film knowing that you are eating a heartwarming snuggle comfort food!

So you see, very little ingredients needed, mostly store cupboard items. Cheap as chips, fairly healthy, tasty and very comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment