We decided to pop in to Cambridge today. I had something that I needed to take back but we love just going into the city and walking down past the colleges, people watching and soaking up the atmosphere. I realised whilst walking round just how many chain stores there are. You have to look for the little independents amongst them but when you do, you find some real gems with some beautiful unique items.
The only thing I will say (and this could just be my opinion) is that some times I am put off going in. I am better now I am older and don't mind what people think of me so much but in the past I was always put off by snooty shop assistants looking down on you. Silly I know! What I do think of little boutiquey shops sometimes is that I am put off by going in because I don't think I will be able to afford it or that they won't sell clothes in my portly size. OK so sometimes the size thing has been an issue before but I just think that we have come to accept big chain stores with surly staff and their "if it aint on the shelf we aint got none" attitude and the "pile it high sell it cheap" culture that when we are faced with a small independent store we just think we can't afford it so walk on by. Is that you too or just be being silly?
Whilst we were out we decided to have a nice lunch and went to Rainbow Cafe which is on King's Parade. It was so busy but it adds to the charm of the place and hey, if no one is in there is it really that good anyway? I went there years ago with my Mum so didn't know what to expect. We normally eat at a chain you see! eek! The menu was so inspiring, such yummy options. It was hard to choose, not because it was bland and nothing jumped out at you but because it was so good it was hard to narrow it down to one. Jon had a chilli and I had:
Jamaican Roti Cups - Fresh banana, rosecoco beans, black turtle beans, coconut milk, Jamaican spices, roasted sweet potato and more, served in a chapatti cup with traditional rice’n’peas.
It was fabulous. I took a little pic with my mobile phone but it really does not do the meal justice what so ever. Every mouthful was simply amazing. I was sad when it was over. It has been a while since I ate out where everything was just lovely. The staff were friendly and helpful, place clean, bustling with lovely atmosphere, inspiring menu, delicious freshly cooked food. I left feeling suitably full but also with a warm fuzzy glow of feeling healthy knowing that I had eaten a healthy meal from somewhere independent and also vegetarian. All boxes ticked! I felt much better than I did the day before. I have to confess I ate a bugger. I felt sluggish afterwards and for the rest of the day. I caved and ordered it because I just couldn't find anything else on the menu that I wanted to eat.


Ooooooh, just came across your blog from a facebook feed. Love your blog especially about your feelings towards small independent shops - you're not the only one.
ReplyDeleteAlso, Rainbow cafe, i've been wanting to go there for years and after seeing your plate of food - yum, yum!!! I love vegetarian and would be nice to have some carribbean food again for a change. As for what you ate the day before you may want to check the spelling ;), think there's a tad typo! Lovely to read x
Crikey! I didn't spot that typo - not a good one to make either!
DeleteI have big rants on independent shops but I try and reign it in lol!