Sunday, 15 April 2012

Over Packaged!


Over packaged! What to do with all the packaging!

I ordered some items online; I know there are eco issues concerned with this in terms of the mileage and delivery. I find it a bit of a hard call between buying something unique and shopping from an independent person versus the eco concerns of the petrol etc in shipping it to me. I think as long as I am looking at other areas that we live in a more eco way, I can justify this. I did quite a big shop as I knew I would need some items further down the line so I did a bulk buy to cut out the need to order again so I think in my head that I did the right think. I hope so anyway.

When it arrived it was a different story though. I opened the door and the courier was carrying quite a big box. To start with I was not actually sure that the parcel was for me. The box he was holding looked far far too big for the items I had ordered. I was not wrong though it was for me. When I opened the box I was confronted by polystyrene chips. Lots of polystyrene chips.  Then even more polystyrene chips. 


I finally managed to did my items out and I would say without exaggerating that a good two thirds of the box was full of chips still. 

Two things

  1. What on Earth am I supposed to do with them? Can they be recycled?
  2. Do I let it go I do I contact the supplier with my concerns? I don’t know if that makes me a bit of a whinge bag or not. The items I ordered were perfect and the delivery was immaculate. Do I say anything?
I started to get my thinking cap on and realised that I could do the following with the polystyrene:
  1. Put them in the bottom of a plant pot to aid drainage
  2.  Keep them for moving house and packing
  3.  Give them away for people selling things
  4. Get really creative and make random craft projects with them / junk modelling
I would really like to know if there are any other ideas out there. I am going with the keeping them option at the moment. Don’t know what else to do really. All I can say is, just as well we have a car port we can store them in!

No comments:

Post a Comment