I just love this time of year, I like going out for a nice walk and seeing what bounties I can forrage!
What people don't know when they smile as they pass is that often I have a carrier bag and a pair of scissors in my pocket! Why I hear you ask, well for elderflowers. I love love love em and the best bit is they are free. I use them for cordial, champage and for fritters. DELISH!!!
For now I have made elderflower cordial and thought I would share the images from the process with you. What sparked it off was this darling little lady bug - so cute I grabbed my camera and from there I thought why not lets shoot the whole thing. Don't worry, the little bug was not harmed in the procees, she was put out to graze in my garden.
So piccies first and the I will share the recipe with you and then some tips on foraging!
To make approximately 3 litres
40 heads of elderflower
3.5 Kg sugar
2.5 litres water
4 lemons
150g citric acid
Bottles - Glass looks pretty but you can also use plastic.
1. Shake the elderflower heads to remove any bugs and beasties and also to shake off dead flowers and pollen
2. Trim as much of the green stalks off as possible as these can make it taste more bitter
3. Put the flowers into a large bowl (or two medium sized). Slice up the lemon and add this to the bowl with the flowers. If you would like the cordial to be less torte, use fewer lemons!
4. Pour the water into a large (or two medium sized) saucepan, add the sugar and slowly heat.
5. Once the sugar has dissolved, pour this into the bowl over the lemons and the flowers and savour that wonderful smell!
6. Stir in the citric acid, cover with a cloth.
7. Leave to infuse for 24-48 hours stirring occasionally.
8. Pour into clean sterilised bottles using a sieve or muslin cloth and a funnel.
Can be stored for up to one month or it can be frozen in batches and defrosted to use when required. This is what I do. I use smaller plastic bottles, the type that you buy for a one off drink about 500ml, I fill the bottle 3/4 full and then freeze it. That way I can get a bottle out when I like and not much goes off. It keeps for months and months frozen.
My tips and how to identify the plant
Elderflowers can be harvested approximately May – June.
I had bought cordial in the shops and paid an absolute fortune for it (particularly in the pretty fancy unusual bottles – I am a sucker for that – it must be posh and good if it is in a posh looking bottle, surely? All I knew was that Elderflowers taste yummy, the grow wild and are free. Making things with cordials must be easy and I no longer had to spend a fortune on my luxury cordial, or posh squash as Jon likes to call it!
I want to make elderflower cordial, I had that established but where on earth do I start? Where do they grow? What do they look like? My main worry with picking elderflowers is that I wasn’t entirely sure what they look like. This was our first foraging for free food experience and I was terrified that I was going to poison us!
Once you know what elderflower looks like, you always know. That may sound silly but now every where I go I am like, ooooh there’s one, ooooh fancy it growing there. It becomes an addiction.
The main plant that you could confuse elder with is the Guelder Rose. The guelder rose however is a much smaller shrub. The branches of Elder are very brittle and the bark is slightly corky looking. You can also tell the elderflower apart from the guelder rose by the leaves. Elder leaves have finely serrated edges on a stem with two or three pairs and then a single leaf at the end. The Elder flowers are individually very small - the whole flower head being of a larger spread than the Guelder Rose. The latter has much larger individual white flowers open around the outside of the flower head, and smaller flowers very similar to the Elders in the centre of the flower head. Leaves are totally different to the Elder, being broader - a bit like a Field Maple shape.
Elderflowers smell of what can only be described as being “Tom cat ish” if they smell too much like tom cat then they have gone over and shouldn’t be used. Anything you make with gone over elderflowers will smell equally noxious!
The other plant that you could perhaps mistake them for is the white cowslip.
I would recommend that you harvest from as high as possible to avoid the concern that a doggy may have already paid a visit and to ensure that you are not harvesting cowslip. Also as ever avoid harvesting from a bush that is potentially polluted, from by the side of a road for example.
ENJOY!!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment