As a food item pumpkins aren't that popular or fashionable in this country so shops seem to stock them with the intention of children carving them for Halloween decorations and for this reason they are really cheap.
I bought this large pumpkin from Waitrose for just £2. I know £2! But it serves so many purposes. Out of that one pumpkin I will create the following recipes:
- Spiced pumpking fold over (this recipe is in the River Cottage Veg cook book)
- Pumpkin, Carrot and Coriander Soup
- Pumpkin Pie (probably savoury this year)
- Pumpkin and chickpea stew
And those recipes will also last more than one serving which is great.
I also use the pumpkin seeds to make a nice snack. I put them on a roasting tray, sprinkle them with salt and paprika and roast them until they are a nice golden colour.
It's old fashioned thrifty cooking at it's best.
But then I do look forward to November because after a while I do get sick of too much pumpkin!
Here is Betty and Bert modelling with said pumpkin:

No comments:
Post a Comment